Wife: Amrutha Srinivasan (Actress)
Profession: Stand-up Comedian
Age: 44 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Karthik Kumar
- Karthik Kumar is an Indian stand-up comedian, who has also worked in Tamil film and television shows.
- Karthik started his journey as an actor and has appeared in Tamil films like Kanda Naal Mudhal (2005), Kola Kolaya Mundhirika (2010), Veppam (2011), Ticket (2017), and Mannar Vagaiyara (2018).
- He has also featured in some Hindi films that include Saathiya (2002), Yuva (2004), and Sapno Ke Desh Mein (2010).
- Karthik became interested in acting when he was 10 years old and watched the Tamil film Nayagan (1987).
- When he was 16, he played the role of a drunk man in one of the plays held in his school. In an interview, he revealed that he got drunk for the role.
- After Kartik complete his graduation, at the age of 25, he started an event management company named “Evam” in 2003. One of his classmates Sunil Vishnu was his partner in the company. His company went bankrupt in 2009 and 2013. In an interview, he talked about his company and said,
We wanted to make a living out of what we loved and we loved and we loved theatre, and also for that feeling of being significant.”
- In 2016, Kartik took retirement from acting and started doing stand-up comedy. He wrote a retirement note on Facebook. In the note, he wrote,
19 Feature films later I’m finally stopping – I’m not going to seek out more work in Cinema as an actor… its time to hang those boots, for good, or for a long while… either way they gotta come off now! Going to shoot for my 19th Feature – a cute comedy drama by a director whose tone of comedy is much enjoyable… I’m going through the charades of haggling with production, dates juggling, begging for bound script and dance master fearing… the usual!”
- In 2018, Karthik wrote the book ‘Don’t Startup: What no one tells you about starting your business.’ In an interview, he talked about the title of the book and said,
When you usually tell an entrepreneurial personality not to do something, they definitely end up doing it. Money making was incredibly difficult. Not just that, we heard a lot of nos too. Nobody will tell you that a start-up is the best thing. You’ll hear a lot of ‘This won’t make enough money’ and ‘You aren’t the right person to try it out’.”
- He has featured in many YouTube comic videos that include ‘South Indian vs North Indian,’ ‘Vegetarians vs Non-Vegetarians,’ and ‘Middle Class Eating Out’.’
- Karthik has done around 300 shows in India and other countries. His first solo special was ‘#PokeMe,’ second was ‘Second Decoction,’ and the recent was ‘Blood Chutney.’
- Karthik was married to famous playback singer Suchitra Ramadurai, but later got divorced in 2017. In an interview, he talked about his wife and said that he often thought about his wife and was fond of her.
- On 12 December 2021, he married actress, Amrutha Srinivasan. They have an age difference of 16 years. The marriage ceremony took place in Chennai. On Instagram, he posted a picture with his wife and wrote,
She got my back. I know now what it means, to have someone fully have your back. I have her back. And that’s special because she lets me. Now I know I’m her home.”
- He has featured in various newspapers and magazines.
- He is an avid dog lover.
- He often posts pictures of himself while drinking.